Saturday, November 8, 2008

Open Source Information

Looking through the the different web sites that were featured this week, it seems very easy to loose one's self all the information available. When asking questions on answerbag, most answers that I found did not seem to be very astute. Published books generally have more validity than random posts on random websites. Since the library has tons of published books, we are able to point patrons to a more researched answer to their questions.

However, OCLS could never have as much information within its walls as the internet. I liked what Northwestern was doing. My alma mater used a lot of online scholarly resources too. Also, I never heard of these websites until this course, so I image that most patrons haven't heard of these sites. If they do want information from places like answerbag, then when the come into the library to do research we can inform them about these sites.

No comments: